Category Archives: BLOG
SUPPORT: Don C. For Jordan “Be Bold Be True x Ebay Auction For Big Brother and Big Sisters of America
Don C. collaborated with Brand Jordan to make 37 exclusive and limited edition pairs of Air Jordan 1′s and a signature BHM Just Don Snapback, as you probably already know! It’s the last day to benefit and extremely worthy cause and get yourself some super exclusive pieces! HURRY!
Violette New York is dropping another collection & lookbook of Vintage pieces on Wednesday February 27th. This time, the collection is based solely around Metal and Concert Tees – something very dear to my heart. We teamed up with super talent Amanda Lopez once more and make up wiz Camille Thompson. It was an all-girl revue and lots of fun! I think you guys might dig the stuff. Stay tuned.
Let’s Connect, Politic. Ditto:
LIFE: Surprise Birthday Celebration For Steve Nash + Studio Museum In Harlem Gala + I Met Chuck Close!!! (2.4.13)
I got invited to my first gala ever. Do you say it like “GAY-LUH” or “GAH-LUH” or “GAY-LAY?” Hahaha just kidding on the third variation.
Anyways, Elle Clay was my date and we dressed to our personal 9′s. I say “our personal 9′s” because wearing anything other than boots, jeans and chapstick is our personal best. We arrived to find that we were severely underdressed, as the other ladies came in cocktail dresses and formal gowns. Oh well, we were comfortable and that’s all that mattered.
AND…I met Chuck Close!!! The Chuck Close…photographer and painter!!! I got so stoked that I started to get super nervous. Elle looked at me so crazy. I looked like a bird at All-Star Weekend. We went over and I apologized for the disturbance, but let him know I was a fan and that as an artist myself – he inspired me! He was very kind and allowed me to take a photo. YES!!! Here’s just a little something-something of his work.
Drinks and hor d’oeuvres were flowing. I was still fasting then, so I had myself some fun seltzer (*emphasis on the fun…NOT).
Did I mention I was dressed like a toddler? Oh no? Check me out! I’m wearing Pull-Ups underneath.
Marcie Cleary, Yahonnes Cleary & Lisa E. Davis
Marcie was a doll of a Southern Belle, who made her way over to let me know she read my blog.
She introduced herself and was a pleasant encounter. I like meeting nice people!
There was a dinner at Cipriani after the drinks, but Elle and I had to meet Young Scoozle so we could attend the surprise birthday celebration for our friend Steve Nash. We hustled in the freezing cold to hang with our bud, who is the NICEST…seriously one of the most genuinely nice people you could ever meet.
Steve Nash and Me.
Steve Nash, Elle Clay and Young Scoozle aka Scott Williams
Nothing is better than getting goodies and during NYFW I was blessed to get some fun things! Check out the pieces that I got from SURFACE TO AIR, thanks to Valentina! I cannot wait to wear everything! Blog posts coming soon.
Vladimir The Fraidy Cat approves of the new threads!
Cannot wait to wear these bad boys!
Check SURFACETOAIR.COM for more!
Oh yes!!! My boo thang from Opening Ceremony, Jacky, set me up with some sick Forfex Boots and a DKNY tee. I picked up a couple extra pieces (*staring at my nails).
Having a cat means you can’t have anything nice. Hence the Supreme towel all scratched up…tisk tisk.
And you know this…Jacky!
Peep OPENING CEREMONY.US for information on my goodies!
Special thanks to Brian Wood for my B.Wood Valentine!
Check his clothing at BRIANWOODONLINE.COM!
NEWS: TwoOneTwo.US Site Launch & Collaborations With Vashtie + Scott Williams, Angelo Baque, Baron Von Fancy, Aaron Bondaroff & More – Functional Art Objects & Clothing
Introducing TwoOneTwo.Us. A brand new brand by Bobby Waltzer that specializes in making functional art objects and clothing and collaborate with people whose aesthetic inclinations they admire. Who doesn’t like the sound of that?!
Young Scoozle aka Scott Williams and I recently had the opportunity to collaborate with them on a Violette Fire Extinguisher. Again, a piece with an artistic and functional aesthetic. Display it as a sculpture and use it in case stuff goes down and flames ensue.
The 212 Fire Extinguisher retails for $438 and was produced in limited quantities.
Peep the site for more incredible collaborations with my homies: Angelo Baque, Baron Von Fancy, Aaron Bondaroff and more! Pieces range from Button Up Shirts to Feather Pens to Risque Door Mats and More! Prices range from 7$ and upwards.
NEWS: George Zimmerman Apparently Eats His Feelings x “What’s Happened In The Trayvon Martin Case Since You Stopped Paying Attention” via ThinkProgress.Org
Thanks to my friend Suzy for sharing this on Facebook.
It’s a weird and interesting read. I get the point of the articles titles, but I also think we all cared deeply about the terrible death of Trayvon but then got bombarded with so many other things that gets thrown at us in this digital/communication age. I don’t know if we all stopped paying attention, but rather got down about so many other issues; ie: Sandy Hook, Tropical Storm Sandy, Meteors in Russia, etc.
One of the weirdest thing that’s happened is that George Zimmerman has gained 105lbs! He clearly eats his feelings, but what feelings are those? When I’m sad, depressed or feeling…I don’t know…GUILTY…I have a loss of appetite. When I’m happy I eat everything in sight. Let’s hope he’s not like me in that regard.
Here are 8 things that have happened in the Trayvon Martin Case Since…we last checked in (rather)
via ThinkProgress.Com Written By Judd Legum
“It’s been nearly a year since George Zimmerman shot and killed Trayvon Martin, an unarmed 17-year-old on his way back to his father’s townhouse. In the weeks following the shooting, the story captured the nation’s attention, culminating with Zimmerman being charged with second-degree murder last April.
But as the story has receded from the headlines, the legal case has plodded along and the trial is likely to be completed this summer. Here’s what you may have missed:
1. Zimmerman has spent over $300,000 in donations over the last year and is desperate for more funds to finance his defense.Zimmerman has “spent more than $125,000″ on living expenses — not including security — over the last year. His lawyer acknowledged that “Zimmerman’s personal spending may seem exorbitant.” Zimmerman is considering asking the court to declare him “indigent, meaning the public would have to pay for Zimmerman’s defense.” Zimmerman was also sued by a security company for unpaid bills. [Orlando Sentinel,1/20/2013; Miami Herald, 12/27/12]
2. The trial has been set for June 10. Zimmerman recently asked for a delay of the trial until November but a judge denied his request. Zimmerman’s lawyer says it is “physically impossible for us to be prepared” for trial at that time. A separate proceeding, essentially a mini-trial, to determine whether Zimmerman is immune from prosecution due to Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law, is scheduled for April 22. [Orlando Sentinel, 2/5/13; Headline News, 2/13/13]
3. New forensic analysis “casts doubt on Zimmerman’s timeline on the night he shot and killed the unarmed teen.” The analysis was done by “Michael Knox, a retired Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office detective and crime scene investigator.” According to Knox, “based on the times and distances Zimmerman said he covered, Zimmerman would have still been on the phone with Sanford police when he claims he was attacked by Martin.” Knox says that other aspects of Zimmerman’s story, like the claim Martin was leaning over him at the time the shot was fired, are supported by forensic evidence. [News 4 Jacksonville, 2/10/13]
4. Zimmerman has gained 105 pounds. [Orlando Sentinel, 1/20/2013]
5. The defense team acquired Trayvon Martin’s school records.According to Zimmerman’s lawyers “some information in Trayvon Martin’s file could be relevant in the defense of George Zimmerman.” State prosecutors and the Martin family attorney opposed Zimmerman’s efforts to acquire the records arguing “because Zimmerman did not know Trayvon before the Feb. 26 shooting, the teen’s past was not a factor in the case.” [Orlando Sentinel, 1/16/13]
6. Zimmerman is suing NBC News. In the suit, Zimmerman claims NBC unfairly portrayed him as a “racist and predatory villain.” [ABC News,12/6/12]
7. The judged denied Zimmerman’s request to be removed from GPS tracking. [Fox Orlando, 12/11/12]
8. Trayvon Martin would have turned 18 on February 5. [Huffington Post, 2/5/13]“
LIFE: Luar Zepol FW 2013 Show x “Rayo Esquisito” x Theophilus London, Plain Pat & Mimi Harris, Brenmar, Telfar Clemons & More! (2.13.13)
Luar Zepol was the last show I attended and what a perfect way it was to end NYFW 2013. As you may know, Raul Lopez is one of my oldest and dearest friends. Seeing him flourish and really blossom into his own with his line Luar Zepol has been incredible. He’s immensely talented and a fascinating character that everyone absolutely loves after spending just 2 minutes with him (seriously).
RAUL LOPEZ & ME.
All of our friends came out to support!
THEOPHILUS LONDON, ME & SABEL BOO
MIMI & PLAIN PAT!
Designer TELFAR CLEMONS
BLAKE SCOTLAND, HUGGY BEAR & SHYVONNE
MALUCA, AVIVA KLEIN & AMARIS
OSCAR 1992, CHRISTELLE & Me.
The other night I had the distinct honor of meeting legendary BBoy and BGirl, Kwikstep & Rokafella, at the Video Music Box 30th Anniversary. This married dance duo started a dance collective in 1996 called Full Circle and have done a slew of things including writing and producing their own semi autobiographical play titled “Innaviews”.
The New York Times wrote: “…They (Kwikstep & Rokafella) are also funny and very, very smart. That playful intelligence is one of the points of “Innaviews,” a series of devastatingly on-target interviews in which Rokafella and Kwikstep impersonate characters intent on discovering the heart and history of hip-hop“
If you are around, I urge you to see the show. I have yet to see it myself, but it’s imperative we support one of the crucial elements of Hip Hop like BBoying which is unfortunately losing popularity these days.
LIFE: A Quick History Of Hood By Air + HBA F/W 2013 x Boy Child, Genevieve Jones, Aaron Bondaroff (2.10.13)
Hood By Air Show at Santos 2009
A couple days ago someone asked me if I knew the Hood By Air dudes. I almost retorted as brash as a Valley Girl…”OMG. Um, Hello?! I’ve known Shayne Oliver for the past 10 years. He used to teach me how to vogue in my apartment!”. I’ve been blogging about Hood By Air since I started blogging. It’s incredible to see how much they’ve blown up. To some, it might seem like they came out of nowhere – but, Shayne Oliver (a fellow Trini) has been grinding for the past 10 years that I’ve known him and probably for the years that I didn’t know him.
Raul Lopez (formerly of Hood By Air, now has his own label Luar Zepol), Shayne Oliver (Hood By Air), Anthony Hendrickson (Third New York) and Vashtie (Violette, boo ya) New York City 2006
I even started the very popular Hood By Air TV…starring Shayne Oliver and Raul Lopez (who has started his own avant-garde label, Luar Zepol). The show definitely needs a comeback! Anyways, I’m so so so happy for Shayne and Hood By Air. To see them blowing up and having the world take notice maks me feel all warm inside. They’ve come a long way! Check out the episodes!!!
Genevieve Jones and Crew! She told me to sit on her lap and I was so afraid I’b break her!
Boy Child gave a great performance and walk…
Aaron Bondaroff aka Downtown Don and Oscar 1992