Category Archives: news
I’m doing so much great stuff this weekend in DC. Check out the flyers below and maybe I’ll see you and maybe we’ll take pictures for Instagram. Let’s do that, shall we?
And please…SUGGEST SOME THINGS! What should I see? What should I eat (vegan/raw for me and non-vegan for my friends)? Oh yeah, did I mention that I’m bringing Elle, DJ Huggy Bear and Young Scoozle. AND…my friend Big K.R.I.T. will be there! Oh yeah.
I love being surrounded by so many creative friends. I’ve been knowing Shaniqwa, affectionately nicknamed Shaq, since 2002! Since then she has always been a beaming ray of light, full of fun and immeasurable laughs. She also happens to be an incredible photographer that has traveled the world to shoot everything from Supreme to Stussy to her own collection of personal bathroom portraiture. Check out her site…
Watch her excitement for her new site captured in a video interpretation…which I love!!!
Violette New York is dropping another collection & lookbook of Vintage pieces on Wednesday February 27th. This time, the collection is based solely around Metal and Concert Tees – something very dear to my heart. We teamed up with super talent Amanda Lopez once more and make up wiz Camille Thompson. It was an all-girl revue and lots of fun! I think you guys might dig the stuff. Stay tuned.
Let’s Connect, Politic. Ditto:
NEWS: TwoOneTwo.US Site Launch & Collaborations With Vashtie + Scott Williams, Angelo Baque, Baron Von Fancy, Aaron Bondaroff & More – Functional Art Objects & Clothing
Introducing TwoOneTwo.Us. A brand new brand by Bobby Waltzer that specializes in making functional art objects and clothing and collaborate with people whose aesthetic inclinations they admire. Who doesn’t like the sound of that?!
Young Scoozle aka Scott Williams and I recently had the opportunity to collaborate with them on a Violette Fire Extinguisher. Again, a piece with an artistic and functional aesthetic. Display it as a sculpture and use it in case stuff goes down and flames ensue.
The 212 Fire Extinguisher retails for $438 and was produced in limited quantities.
Peep the site for more incredible collaborations with my homies: Angelo Baque, Baron Von Fancy, Aaron Bondaroff and more! Pieces range from Button Up Shirts to Feather Pens to Risque Door Mats and More! Prices range from 7$ and upwards.
NEWS: George Zimmerman Apparently Eats His Feelings x “What’s Happened In The Trayvon Martin Case Since You Stopped Paying Attention” via ThinkProgress.Org
Thanks to my friend Suzy for sharing this on Facebook.
It’s a weird and interesting read. I get the point of the articles titles, but I also think we all cared deeply about the terrible death of Trayvon but then got bombarded with so many other things that gets thrown at us in this digital/communication age. I don’t know if we all stopped paying attention, but rather got down about so many other issues; ie: Sandy Hook, Tropical Storm Sandy, Meteors in Russia, etc.
One of the weirdest thing that’s happened is that George Zimmerman has gained 105lbs! He clearly eats his feelings, but what feelings are those? When I’m sad, depressed or feeling…I don’t know…GUILTY…I have a loss of appetite. When I’m happy I eat everything in sight. Let’s hope he’s not like me in that regard.
Here are 8 things that have happened in the Trayvon Martin Case Since…we last checked in (rather)
via ThinkProgress.Com Written By Judd Legum
“It’s been nearly a year since George Zimmerman shot and killed Trayvon Martin, an unarmed 17-year-old on his way back to his father’s townhouse. In the weeks following the shooting, the story captured the nation’s attention, culminating with Zimmerman being charged with second-degree murder last April.
But as the story has receded from the headlines, the legal case has plodded along and the trial is likely to be completed this summer. Here’s what you may have missed:
1. Zimmerman has spent over $300,000 in donations over the last year and is desperate for more funds to finance his defense.Zimmerman has “spent more than $125,000″ on living expenses — not including security — over the last year. His lawyer acknowledged that “Zimmerman’s personal spending may seem exorbitant.” Zimmerman is considering asking the court to declare him “indigent, meaning the public would have to pay for Zimmerman’s defense.” Zimmerman was also sued by a security company for unpaid bills. [Orlando Sentinel,1/20/2013; Miami Herald, 12/27/12]
2. The trial has been set for June 10. Zimmerman recently asked for a delay of the trial until November but a judge denied his request. Zimmerman’s lawyer says it is “physically impossible for us to be prepared” for trial at that time. A separate proceeding, essentially a mini-trial, to determine whether Zimmerman is immune from prosecution due to Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law, is scheduled for April 22. [Orlando Sentinel, 2/5/13; Headline News, 2/13/13]
3. New forensic analysis “casts doubt on Zimmerman’s timeline on the night he shot and killed the unarmed teen.” The analysis was done by “Michael Knox, a retired Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office detective and crime scene investigator.” According to Knox, “based on the times and distances Zimmerman said he covered, Zimmerman would have still been on the phone with Sanford police when he claims he was attacked by Martin.” Knox says that other aspects of Zimmerman’s story, like the claim Martin was leaning over him at the time the shot was fired, are supported by forensic evidence. [News 4 Jacksonville, 2/10/13]
4. Zimmerman has gained 105 pounds. [Orlando Sentinel, 1/20/2013]
5. The defense team acquired Trayvon Martin’s school records.According to Zimmerman’s lawyers “some information in Trayvon Martin’s file could be relevant in the defense of George Zimmerman.” State prosecutors and the Martin family attorney opposed Zimmerman’s efforts to acquire the records arguing “because Zimmerman did not know Trayvon before the Feb. 26 shooting, the teen’s past was not a factor in the case.” [Orlando Sentinel, 1/16/13]
6. Zimmerman is suing NBC News. In the suit, Zimmerman claims NBC unfairly portrayed him as a “racist and predatory villain.” [ABC News,12/6/12]
7. The judged denied Zimmerman’s request to be removed from GPS tracking. [Fox Orlando, 12/11/12]
8. Trayvon Martin would have turned 18 on February 5. [Huffington Post, 2/5/13]“
NEWS: Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day – We’ve Come A Long Way, But We Still Have Much Progress To Make!
We have surely come a long way…but, we still have much progress to make. Although we do have an African-American President in office and we are not forced into segregation, there are still a lot of racial inequalities in existence right now.
Whether it exists in other people or within ourselves in the form of stereotypes or hatred, it’s an undeniable beast that still thrives.
I personally think that the path of self-love and non-judgment is the way to go. While also understanding that we are all one and to be cruel or mean to someone else is to be cruel and mean to yourself. I hope that we can make even more progress in the years to come, but it has to start with ourselves!
Happy MLK Day you guys! Big hug from me to you!
Stay tuned for more information. Until then, feast your eyes on this!
I may have unfriended some “friends” on Facebook and if that was you – I’m sorry. It was probably because I was at maximum capacity and some kid I was friends with for 6 months in middle school was trying to be my friend now despite living states away and having not seen each other in aeons.
Subscribe to my Facebook, because trust me…being my “Friend” is not all that. I’m crazy and I have super high standards for friends, one of which requires you to draw me birthday cards because I cannot accept a perfectly good store-bought one (because I’m crazy). And who wants to be “friends” with a crazy person?!
You can get all the shameless plugs and messaging without the commitment. You’ll be the crazy one for not taking the offer!
When ASKMEN.COM tweeted at me that I was nominated for the TOP 99 WOMEN OF 2013, I thought for sure it was some cruel joke (any public adoration makes me feel that way thanks to being bullied in junior high). And no, that isn’t a cry for compliments and pity…I’m being realistic. The women on these lists are in a lane that I am not. I mean, come on…Michelle Obama, Tina Fey, Oh yeah – and Vashtie. Hahahahahahahahahaha. BUT…then again, who am I to argue with AskMen.Com? If I get only one vote at least it will be mine (yes I voted for myself). If you’d like to vote in general go to ASKMEN.COM and if you’d like to vote for me I will drop your check in the mail!