Thanks to my friend Suzy for sharing this on Facebook.
It’s a weird and interesting read. I get the point of the articles titles, but I also think we all cared deeply about the terrible death of Trayvon but then got bombarded with so many other things that gets thrown at us in this digital/communication age. I don’t know if we all stopped paying attention, but rather got down about so many other issues; ie: Sandy Hook, Tropical Storm Sandy, Meteors in Russia, etc.
One of the weirdest thing that’s happened is that George Zimmerman has gained 105lbs! He clearly eats his feelings, but what feelings are those? When I’m sad, depressed or feeling…I don’t know…GUILTY…I have a loss of appetite. When I’m happy I eat everything in sight. Let’s hope he’s not like me in that regard.
Here are 8 things that have happened in the Trayvon Martin Case Since…we last checked in (rather)
via ThinkProgress.Com Written By Judd Legum
“Itâ€™s been nearly a year sinceÂ George Zimmerman shot and killed Trayvon Martin, an unarmed 17-year-old on his way back to his fatherâ€™s townhouse. In the weeks following the shooting, the story captured the nationâ€™s attention, culminating with Zimmerman being charged with second-degree murder last April.
But as the story has receded from the headlines, the legal case has plodded along and the trial is likely to be completed this summer. Hereâ€™s what you may have missed:
1. Zimmerman has spent over $300,000 in donations over the last year and is desperate for more funds to finance his defense.Zimmerman has â€œspent more than $125,000â€³ on living expenses â€” not including security â€” over the last year. His lawyer acknowledged that â€œZimmermanâ€™s personal spending may seem exorbitant.â€ Zimmerman is considering asking the court to declare him â€œindigent, meaning the public would have to pay for Zimmermanâ€™s defense.â€ Zimmerman was also sued by a security company for unpaid bills. [Orlando Sentinel,1/20/2013; Miami Herald,Â 12/27/12]
2. The trial has been set for June 10. Zimmerman recently asked for a delay of the trial until November but a judge denied his request. Zimmermanâ€™s lawyer says it is â€œphysically impossible for us to be preparedâ€ for trial at that time. A separate proceeding, essentially a mini-trial, to determine whether Zimmerman is immune from prosecution due to Floridaâ€™s â€œStand Your Groundâ€ law, is scheduled for April 22. [Orlando Sentinel,Â 2/5/13; Headline News,Â 2/13/13]
3. New forensic analysis â€œcasts doubt on Zimmermanâ€™s timeline on the night he shot and killed the unarmed teen.â€ The analysis was done by â€œMichael Knox, a retired Jacksonville Sheriffâ€™s Office detective and crime scene investigator.â€ According to Knox, â€œbased on the times and distances Zimmerman said he covered, Zimmerman would have still been on the phone with Sanford police when he claims he was attacked by Martin.â€ Knox says that other aspects of Zimmermanâ€™s story, like the claim Martin was leaning over him at the time the shot was fired, are supported by forensic evidence. [News 4 Jacksonville,Â 2/10/13]
4. Zimmerman has gained 105 pounds. [Orlando Sentinel,Â 1/20/2013]
5. The defense team acquired Trayvon Martinâ€™s school records.According to Zimmermanâ€™s lawyers â€œsome information in Trayvon Martinâ€™s file could be relevant in the defense of George Zimmerman.â€ State prosecutors and the Martin family attorney opposed Zimmermanâ€™s efforts to acquire the records arguing â€œbecause Zimmerman did not know Trayvon before the Feb. 26 shooting, the teenâ€™s past was not a factor in the case.â€ [Orlando Sentinel,Â 1/16/13]
6. Zimmerman is suing NBC News. In the suit, Zimmerman claims NBC unfairly portrayed him as a â€œracist and predatory villain.â€ [ABC News,12/6/12]
7. The judged denied Zimmermanâ€™s request to be removed from GPS tracking. [Fox Orlando,Â 12/11/12]
8. Trayvon Martin would have turned 18 on February 5. [Huffington Post,Â 2/5/13]“