Welcome back for another DOIN’ IT WELL WEDNESDAY edition, where me and the Vashtie.Com Team share Wellness Tips!
For today, I thought I’d share my famous morning routine that I have featured on my Snapchat (@ VashtieKola) since it gets a lot of inquiries (and screenshots)!
Every Sunday or Monday, I freshly juice a mason jar of Ginger, Lemon and Orange Juice that I drink shots of throughout the week to start my day. There is no set recipe, but – here is what I use…but feel free to play around with the amounts that taste better for you.
Why do I start my morning off with shots of Ginger, Lemon and Orange Juice on an empty stomach?
Lemons are an excellent source of Vitamin C, and they contain flavonoid compounds that have antioxidant and anti-cancer properties. Ginger is a potent anti-inflammatory that offers protection against colorectal cancer, it possibly induces cell death in ovarian cancers, and it gives a boost to your immune system.
Vashtie’s Morning G.L.O. Recipe
1 Palm Sized Organic Ginger (unpeeled or peeled)
2 Organic Lemons (unpeeled or peeled)
2 Organic Navel Oranges (unpeeled or peeled)
*I juice these with the peel, because I believe in their medicinal properties…but note that it will make for a frothier and thicker juice.
I should also note that I add Cilantro Extract and Oil of Oregano. Why, you ask?
Cilantro is most often cited as being effective for toxic metal cleansing and rightfully so, this herb is a powerful, natural cleansing agent. The chemical compounds in cilantro bind to toxic metals and loosen them from the tissue. Many people suffering from mercury exposure report a reduction in the often-cited feeling of disorientation after consuming large and regular amounts of cilantro over an extended period.
Other Benefits of Cilantro Extract:
- May be able to help prevent cardiovascular damage.
- Strong antioxidant activity.
- Has been shown to have anti-anxiety effects.
- May help improve sleep quality.
- Has been examined and described to have a blood-sugar lowering effect.
- Cilantro seed oil possess antioxidative properties, consumption may decrease oxidative stress.
- Demonstrated activity against several types of harmful organisms.
Oil of Oregano:
This herbal oil is a powerful antimicrobial that can help fight off infections. Oregano oil also has antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties.
•Treating foot or nail fungus. Put a few teaspoons of oregano oil in a basin of water and soak your feet in it. You can also dilute the oil (mix a drop with a teaspoon of olive or coconut oil), and then apply it on your nails or skin.
•Help in killing parasites and easing infections. Dilute the oil (mix a drop with a drop of a carrier oil such as coconut oil), and place it under your tongue. Hold it there for a few minutes, and then rinse it out. Repeat this at least four times a day.
•Alleviating sinus infections and colds. Put a few drops of oregano oil in a pot of steaming water, and then inhale the steam.
I also encourage using the antiseptic powers of this herbal oil to clean your home. Here’s one way how: combine four drops of oregano oil with 10 drops of lemon oil and a quarter-cup of white vinegar, and then add to a bucket of water. Use this mixture to wipe and clean surfaces.
Composition of Oregano Oil
Oregano oil is high in phenols, which are natural phytochemical compounds with beneficial antioxidant effects. The two most abundant phenols in it are:
•Thymol — a natural fungicide with antiseptic properties. It helps boost your immune system, works as a shield against toxins, and even helps prevent tissue damage and encourages healing.
•Carvacrol — found to be effective against various bacterial infections, such as Candida albicans, staphylococcus, E. coli, campylobacter, salmonella, klebsiella, the aspergillus mold, giardia, pseudomonas, and listeria.
•Terpenes — known for their powerful antibacterial properties.
•Rosmarinic acid — an antioxidant that prevents free radical damage and has shown promise in treating allergic asthma and preventing cancer and atherosclerosis. It also works as a natural antihistamine that helps reduce fluid buildup and swelling caused by allergy attacks.
•Naringin — inhibits the growth of cancer cells and helps boost the antioxidants in oregano oil.
•Beta-caryophyllin (E-BCP) — this substance inhibits inflammation and is also beneficial for conditions including osteoporosis and arteriosclerosis, as well as metabolic syndrome.
Nutrients like vitamins A, C, and E, calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, potassium, manganese, copper, boron, and niacin are also found in oregano oil.
Benefits of Oregano Oil:
Oregano oil has wide-reaching health benefits, but is most associated with respiratory and immune system health. It is known for helping prevent and treat infections, such as:
•Urinary tract infections (UTIs) caused by bacteria like E. coli, Proteus,and Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
•Respiratory infections brought on by Klebsiella pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus bacteria strains.
•Yeast infections, even those that are resistant to the commonly used antifungal drug Diflucan.
•Parasitic infections caused by the amoeba giardia — it was even found to be more effective than antibiotics like Tinidazol.
•Methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infection
Oregano oil has also shown promise in preventing food-borne illnesses caused by pathogens like listeria, salmonella, E. coli, and Shigella dysenteria. Adding it to foods not only helps kill the bacteria, but may also alleviate food poisoning symptoms.
•Ward off insects. Carvacrol in oregano oil works as a natural insect repellant. Try putting a few drops on outdoor furniture, or apply a diluted mixture on your skin when heading outdoors.
•Relieve bug bites and rashes, including poison ivy rash. Apply oregano oil diluted with olive oil on the affected areas.
•Help heal cold sores, dandruff, and other skin conditions. Some experts also advocate using a diluted version to treat acne and rosacea.
•Ease sore throat. Simply add a few drops to a glass of water. It can help alleviate toothache as well.
•Help relieve muscle and joint pain, rheumatoid arthritis, sprains, and cramps
You can add a shot of this recipe to a cup of hot water to make a tea. Here are some other noteworthy benefits…(via VegKitchen.Com)
- It Brings Instant Relief From Nausea and Indigestion: Vomiting and nausea usually occur as symptoms of a body disorder. Ginger lemon tea provides the best relief mechanism. Moreover, if you have a motion sickness tendency, you can drink a cup of ginger lemon tea prior to travel to prevent nausea. It can also help cure the vomiting related to chemotherapy and pregnancy, which is a relief during that period. It eases the pain and uneasiness of an upset stomach. The ginger and lemon in the tea lowers the chances of heartburn and indigestion. It causes the food to be better absorbed by the body and prevents belching and bloating after eating too much. It improves your appetite as well.
- It Lowers The Effects Of Diabetes: New research has thrown light upon the fact that drinking ginger lemon tea on a daily basis can reduce kidney damage that occurs due to the effects of diabetes. The high levels of zinc found in ginger play a prime role in the production and secretion of insulin. It is the insulin that controls the blood sugar levels and keeps diabetes in check. Other harmful effects of diabetes like blood pressure, heart problems and so on can be countered by the anti-oxidants present in the drink.
- It Is Your One-Stop-Drink To Perfect Skin And Great Hair: As mentioned above, ginger lemon tea is rich in anti-oxidants and vitamins which are beneficial for perfect skin, hair and health. The beverage helps in improving your digestion and guides you towards smooth and flawless skin. The antibacterial and antiseptic properties protect your skin from infections. For strong and beautiful hair, ginger lemon tea provides you a natural aid. Vitamin A and C are recommended in plenty for those with hair issues, as they combat the production of DHT in the scalp that in turn triggers hair growth. A vitamin and anti-oxidant rich drink like ginger lemon tea will help you overcome hair problems in an absolute natural and simple way.
- It Is The Apt Drink For Weight Loss: High blood sugar levels trigger cravings for carbohydrates and fatty foods. Ginger helps to normalize these sugar levels which otherwise can affect your ability to lose weight or eat healthy food. Ginger also improves fat absorption and prevents it from accumulating in the body. Both ginger and lemon have anti-inflammatory properties that prevent inflammations and enhance the activity of the liver that helps in shedding those extra pounds. The smell of lemons reduces stress causing an increase in metabolism and proper organ function that can help in weight loss.